Wednesday 13 February 2013

What You Do MATTERS!

Today I sat with my son rocking him. He cried hysterically for no reason. Its 4 a.m. He falls asleep. Again at 5. And even worse at 6 a.m. In the dark I sit rocking him. He falls asleep but the second I get up to put him in his crib he wakes up screaming again. I'm really not even tired anymore, though I hope he gets his sleep for at  least a few more hours. As I do this I wonder. Where did I go wrong. He was a great night sleeper until 4 months. If he didn't fall asleep while eating I would put him in his crib sing a song, give him a kiss, say goodnight and walk out of the room and he would fall asleep and not even call me back into the room once. What happened? Why can't he do that anymore? What happened to sleeping through the night? Could it have been because I didn't force him to take enough naps (he naps 2 or 3 times a day only)? Should I let him cry it out? Man I feel awful listening to him cry and not rushing in straight away, but should I?

      Today as Alek napped, I read a wonderful blog post. As I read it I first thought...well I know this stuff (in my heart). Then I found myself crying. It made me feel great. I hadn't felt bad today and Alek and I have been having a great day, but it was still  nice to read. It was nice to have someone identify the feelings you nevertheless sometimes feel, even if you try to bury them. The feelings sometimes creep up on a bad day and you just can't shake them.

     In summary the post is about not giving up. Some moments are hard. Sometimes you feel like you want to throw in the towel and quit, or like you failed. You shouldn't and you haven't. Things you think (or others think) are unimportant are important. Putting your child to bed, a goodnight kiss, a kiss on the boo boo, wiping your child's nose, making sure they are dressed weather appropriately and so on, these things make all the difference to your child What you do is important, to your child(ren), to your family. We do not need and should not compare what we do to what others do, because you are the perfect parent to your children. "[Y]ou only fail if you quit."

    This post is a wonderful reminder to mothers (actually fathers too!) of the astounding and wonderful things you do each and every day. Your actions have an impact! We are not always strong, sometimes we need help or encouragement. Sometimes you really need to hear the "thanks" or great job" or "let me lend you a hand, you look tired". We do not always need to put on a happy face and pretend all is perfect. and dandy, even in front of or rather ESPECIALLY in front of other mothers. We should be there for one another and understanding instead of competing around whose life is more ideal. We should bond and be there and understanding of each others struggles and not only the achievements.

For those having a difficult day, here you go: http://rachelmariemartin.blogspot.ca/2013/02/dear-mom-who-feels-like-she-wants-to.html#.URr7Rd2dV8o.facebook

1 comment:

  1. I have a one year old and I know everytime I think we have something worked out and are in a routine it changes, so hang in there- the sleeping thing is so hard!

    ReplyDelete